Sweet & Savory DIY Popcorn
For some reason, I always thought you needed your own air popper to make popcorn without a bag. I never wanted to use those chemical-laden bags, so I've stayed away from popcorn unless I knew it was air popped.
When I finally looked into it and realized you only need a pot and a stove, popcorn kernels was the first thing on my list to get at the store. When buying popcorn kernels, make sure you look for organic because corn is very genetically modified here in the U.S. The brand I bought was also sprouted so that was a plus.
You know me, I can never pick between flavors because i have flavor fomo, so I decided to make a savory version and a sweet tasting one. I honestly think the "cheddar" version was my fav until I melted some cinnamon raisin coconut butter on my sweet version. I know, SO good.
For the popcorn:
- Follow the directions on bag in order to pop your kernels
- Mine called for 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels, and I used 1 tbsp. coconut oil to pop them
- That yielded me a little under 4 cups when popped
- Separate the popcorn in half for the different flavors
Sweet Cinnamon Bun:
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon (You can make your own by buying organic cinnamon sticks and processing them to a powder!)
- 2 tbsp. organic maple syrup
- Mix the two ingredients in a bowl, and pour half one of the popcorns set aside.
- Mix really well, and enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- Couple "turns" of sea salt
- 2 shakes/sprinkles garlic powder
- 2 shakes/sprinkles paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric (you can't taste it!)
- Pour this mixture over the rest of the popcorn, mix very well and enjoy :)